If 2014 was the year of change, then 2015 will be the year of sifting through all that change and working to truly understand it. In the first few days of this New Year, I feel much more inclined to look back– not for fear of moving forward, though. Rather, in order to be sure I gather up all those bits of knowledge and insight, and pack them deep inside my brain. And probably my heart, too.
On a flight back to the city last week week, I began to jot down the little bits. Bits turned to fuller thoughts, then actual ideas, and finally, lessons. After about an hour of scribbling, the following 10 stood out:
1. Perfectionism is a freaking plague. It holds us back in so many ways. I personally have to fight against it constantly in order to just be myself. My paralyzingly desire to have others think I’ve always got it all together does far more detriment than good. Not to mention it’s an outright lie.
2. People are not inherently malicious or mean spirited. Most of us are just trying to do the best that we can (or know how to). Go easy on others. Forgive relentlessly.
3. And on that note, forgiveness is freedom.
4. “Nothing haunts us like the things we don’t say.” This quote weighs so heavily on me. Say what you truly mean in the moment. You’ll be much better off in the long run.
5. It’s very important to spend a little time doing absolutely nothing every.single.week.
6. It benefits no one to feel guilty when asking for help. Ask for the help you need and accept it graciously. Then focus on ways you can help others.
7. Take the time. Take the time to really listen to others, to treat the people that deserve it most, to send that sweet text to an old friend, to tell people what a freaking good job their doing, to say thank you to your Mom a million bazillion times….the list goes on.
8. Accept the damn compliment.
9. Learn to go through, rather than around, the discomfort. It’s the real work, but that’s where the good stuff lies.
10. Self love might be he hardest thing. Ever. But we (I) must, must keep trying.
I’d consider it a huge feat if I could master even just two or three of these this year. But I’m gonna shoot for all 10, because as I also learned numerous times over in 2014 - you’ve gotta start somewhere. xx Clara
Image via College Vintage, Source TFS