Oh, Friday. I’m so glad you’re here!
I’m currently en route to DC for a little work and play weekend. After some work meetings, I get to catch up with two of my closest girls. Then tomorrow Brandon and I are headed to Baltimore for a college friend’s wedding. I have such a special place in my heart for that city. It’s where I went to college, made so many amazing friends, and met Brandon. I get so nostalgic about it all!
Now this sandwich. I mean, it’s pretty self explanatory. It all started with this photo in Pinterest. It’s worth noting that I have a Pinterest album devoted to sandwiches. Then I spotted the raisin walnut loaf at the farmer’s market last weekend. Then decided I needed to use Honeycrisp apples because how can you not work them into every meal these days? And lastly, the gruyere- so classic for a grilled cheese.
Here’s to a wonderful weekend! xx
Honeycrisp and Gruyere Grilled Cheese
Pretty sure I don’t need to tell you guys how to make a grilled cheese! So instead I’m passing along my grilled cheese tips specifically formatted for this sandwich:
- Instead of buttering the pan, butter the outside of each piece of bread- liberally!
- When working with hard cheeses that aren’t pre-sliced, cut them as thin as you can, or even better, grate them on the large side of the grater and pile them all inside the sandwich.
- To keep the apples tucked inside this sandwich, first layer a little cheese, then the apples, then a little more cheese- this melds everything together.
- Press down the sandwich using the back of the spatula while it’s in the pan.
- Lastly- in order to get that perfect melty grilled cheese without burning your bread, cook the sandwich at medium low heat (it will take some time), and place a cover on the pan to help melt the cheese.