For this week’s Summer in the City post, we’re so honored to be featuring Denise from the award winning food blog, Chez Us. A California girl, she’s sharing some of her summertime favorites from San Francisco today. If you haven’t seen her blog yet, you have to check it out. Her recipes and photography are beyond amazing!
1. Favorite restaurant? We recently moved to West Oakland, and are undoubtedly having fun searching out great eats. Our favorite place (right now) is Boot and Shoe Service. We love it so much that we eat there once a week. We prefer to belly up to the intimate bar in the back of the restaurant when we dine there. Great casual atmosphere, stimulating music, killer cocktails, friendly staff and the food. The food is spectacular. Simple appetizers using fresh, local ingredients. The burrata with grilled asparagus is a dream. We always have a woodfired pizza, and our favorite, at the moment, is the salt cod with peppers. In addition to pizzas, they serve some enticing pasta dishes and main entrees such as fried rabbit (very good). Save room for dessert.
2. Favorite savory dish? Tomatoes have been showing up in the markets, and they are amazing this summer. We love grabbing clusters of them, simply roasting with a little olive oil and green garlic, then tossing with pasta. Makes a simple meal.
3. Favorite sweet? Grilled fruits. We have been playing with grilling fruits directly on the grill as well as wrapping fruit up in parchment paper and letting it simmer. We recently went camping, and we made berry packets every night, over the campfire. Just rip a piece of parchment paper, put fruit in the middle, wrap closed and set on the grill for a few minutes. So good …
4. Drink of choice? On extremely hot evenings, when we are feeling a bit lazy, we have been enjoying a glass of Lilette Rose. It is the perfect summertime drink. When in the mood to make cocktails, we have been digging Blueberry Thyme Gin Fizzes; slightly tart, slightly sweet and a little bubbly!
5. Favorite San Francisco summer activity? Have you been to San Francisco in the summer? Usually, our favorite activity is leaving town, in search of sunshine. When a gorgeous summer day hits the city, it is perfect. We like to pick-up a picnic and head to Dolores Park. Great people watching and the perfect place to lay in the grass, read a book or just enjoy each others company. When we are finished sunning it is fun to run across the street for the best ice cream in the city at Bi-Rite Creamery.
6. Summer entertaining tip? In the summer, we like to keep dinner parties simple, tea lights in little jars, spicy music, and fresh ingredients for delicious recipes. Lately, we have been serving pitchers of these fabulous flavored waters during dinner parties; not only are they pretty to look at but they make great thirst quenchers between courses.
Thanks, Denise! I’ve been dreaming of getting to San Francisco forever, and when I do, Boot and Shoe Service will be my first stop.